10/11/2012

User data migration with USMT - where what how

I don't like long explanations, directory locations or long talks on the phone. I enjoy long walks in the forest or long concerts.
So if you want to use USMT version (while I am writing this) it's version 6.2.9200.16384 *version 5.0) there is a pretty Technet blog post that explain more about USMT 5.0 vs 4.0 etc... but wait, it says USMT 5.0 in the blog post title, but the post refers to USMT 4.0
Then there's always the User State Migration Tool (USMT) Technical Reference or 113000 hits on google containing the words USMT and Video.

So you don't really need this just-another-blog-post do you :)
I just want to tell you TWO THINGS about USMT that I wanted to know:
1. Where the hell is the commandline USMT located
2. How do I extract a .mig file (usmt.mig)

Well, the command line version of USMT is installed in the following folder when you download and install Microsoft ADK
USMT location after installing ADK (Assessment and Deployment Kit)
...and I don't won't to call usmtutils.exe from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and deployment kit\User State Migration Tool\amd64... *phew* every time SO I copied the necessary files from C:\Program Files\Bla\Bla\Bla\User State Bla\amd64 to C:\USMT instead.
After doing that there will be a usmtutils.log file in C:\USMT when you run the command usmtutils.exe /? and a short explanation is displayed in the command prompt.
Needed dlls when copying usmtutils.exe to other locations
So now I can extract an usmt.mig file with usmtutils.exe by executing the following
msutils.exe /extract c:\usmt\mig\USMT.MIG C:\usmt\extract
 
 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar